JAMES W. MONTFORD, JR. (Ari)
1365 Westminster St. Providence, RI 02909
300 Summer St. #65 Boston
1992-95 Teaching Fellow, Art and Education program at TC Columbia Univ. NYC, Ed.D. course work, Dr. Judith Burton advisor
1976-78 MFA, Hoffberger School of Painting, MICA- Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD, Grace Hartigan, instructor, met and worked with Dr. Leslie King Hammond.
1974-76 MA, Art and Education, Columbia Univ. NYC. Educational Theory and practice, Maxine Greene and studio work/assistant with painter Joseph Steffanelli
1985 Yale College Grad. School of Arch. Urban Planning. Attended one Semester.
1976 Whitney Museum NYC Seminar Program
1975 Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture, Skowhegan, ME
1973 Harvard Univ. Cambridge, MA Summer Study. Independent painting at The Carpenter Center for Visual Studies.
1970-74 AB, with Honors in Fine Arts, Brandeis Univ. Waltham MA other course work in architectural planning and education. Worked With Artist Paul Brown as senior advisor and as his studio assistant.
Miller Yezerski Gallery Boston MA
Yellow Peril Gallery Providence RI
Director, Edward Mitchell Bannister Gallery, Rhode Island College, Providence RI. Exhibition planning and curatorial duties, manage college collections and acquisitions.
Teaching assignments in art dept. 2005- Current
Bunker Hill Community College Adjunct Faculty drawing courses 2010-current
Visiting Artist Stonehill College Easton MA. Fall 2009
CCRI Community College of Rhode Island; Adjunct Faculty 2006 –2011
The RISD Museum and the Rhode Island School of Design Providence RI. 97- Aug 2005 Coordinator of Community Programs/Faculty. Program implementation impacting audience development and exhibition format. Teaching in fine arts and art history depts. 1997-2005
Three Rivers Community College Norwich CT. 95- 2005 adjunct, faculty, art history and studio courses. Curating of gallery exhibitions.
2003 Mitchell College Visiting Artist Studio New London CT
1995-2004 Arts Writer- The Norwich Bulletin, Norwich CT. weekly column reviewing regional exhibitions and arts commentary.
Instructor of art, Univ. of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI., Text and Image course, Senior seminar. 2D & 3D design courses.
1992-94 TC Columbia University, Grad. School Instructor of Painting
Visiting Faculty, Hartford Art School, University of Hartford, CT
Experimental studio. Student advisement
1990-92 Dept. Head Fine Arts, Wilbraham and Monson Academy, Wilbraham MA, curator of gallery, designed and supervised renovations of art center, dev. Curriculum,
1991 & 92 Summer faculty Holyoke Community College. Holyoke, MA.
1991- 92 Faculty, art school, Worcester Art Museum, Worcester MA,
Faculty and Dean of Students office/ Coord. Of Multicultural Affairs Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, NH
Faculty and Coordinator of Academic Programs. University of Connecticut at Avery Point. Art history and art appreciation courses. Curated art gallery organized symposia. Academic admissions and retention of students from under-represented groups.
1985-89 adjunct faculty Mohegan community college/now Three Rivers. Drawing and art appreciation.
1982-85 Director, B.P. Learned House, New London CT. funding dev. and programming for private human service agency. A United Way affiliate
1979-82 Program Director, B.P. Learned House Cultural Arts programming and after school learning and intervention with youth and families.
1980-82 Mitchell College, New London CT. Adjunct Fac. Studio courses/Drawing
Visiting Instructor University of Connecticut at Avery Point, Groton.
Art History and Appreciation. Sabbatical appointment
1978 Coppin State College, Baltimore MD. Visiting Artist/Studio Courses
1977 Community College of Baltimore, MD Visiting Artist/Studio Courses
TA Teaching Assistant /MICA, Baltimore, MD undergrad courses
1977 Visiting Artist, Western Maryland College, Westminster, MD.
WORK EXPERIENCE LECTURES
- Wheaton College Evelyn Danzig Hass Visiting artist Program October 2015
- Rhode Art League Panel May 2015
- BCA Mills Gallery Boston Presentatioon about the work May 2015
- Academic service Graduate school mentor RISD 2013-14-RISD Graduate Student Advisor 2014
- RISD Museum SoundCloud project audio Rock Head by David Hammonds 2014
- The Association of American Cultures conference host sponsor committee Providence RI 2013
- RISCA Public Art panel Providence RI 2013
- Senior studio reviews Mass College of Art May 2013 & 2014
- 2013 – 08 Rappaport Prize Nominator DeCordova Museum, MA
- The Association of American Cultures conference host sponsor committee Providence RI 2013
- Senior studio reviews Mass College of Art May 2013
- 2013 – 08 Rappaport Prize Nominator DeCordova Museum, MA
- Phillips Academy Exeter NH Keynote Speaker 20th MLK Celebration. Jan 2011
- Creative Impact Series RISCA/Brown Prov. RI Presenter Jan. 2011
- Providence Art Club, Prov. RI Juror annual members exhibition Feb 2011
- THINK TANK: 2010 and Beyond – New Directions in African American Art/Transformative Aesthetic Curriculum Design. Panelist/presenter MICA 11/2010
- Judge URI Student Exhibition. Kingston RI Spring 2009
- Judge imagine yellow The Portsmouth Arts Guild Spring 2009
- Visiting Artist Stonehill College MA April 2009
- Curator Summer Sculpture Exhibition Four Corners Art Center Tiverton RI 2008
- Panelist VSA Washington DC July 2008
- MASS Cultural Council Panel Boston MA May 2007
- Newport Art Museum Nov. 2007 Lecture Barbizon to Impressionism
- Rhode Island School of Design Senior Portfolio Review April 2007
- Providence Fine Arts Task Force: Providence Public Schools 2007
- Juror Wickford Art Assoc. Member’s exhibition 7/06
- co-curator Arcosanti and Green at RIC October series 06
- Lecture on Arnold Prince at Mitchell College New London CT Feb 06
- Better-n-Indins; Panel Perishable Theater What is Native Art Jan 05
- New Urban Arts Panel, Providence RI “Artist in the Community” 2003
- NEMA Conference Committee 2005
- RISD Senior Sculpture Crits 2004 and 2005
- RISCA Panel Providence RI, New Genres 2003
- Langston Hughes Residency Yaddo Emerging artist residency 2002
- URI Kingston Campus Visiting Artist spring 2002
- Panel Member, Discussion on censorship at Manchester Community College. Linda Dente, CT Commission on the Arts, Will K. Wilkins, RAW, Sal. Scalora Dir. William Benton Museum. 4/2002
- UIA Judge for Regional Exhibition Norwich CT. 2002
- TRIO Achiever Award Presentation NEOA 2002
- Slater Memorial Museum Norwich CT Community Advisor AAM/MAP program
- In November 2001 multimedia work by the half dozen up-and-coming black artists who showed in “Perspectives,” an exhibition at Cinque Gallery in NYC, drew an enthusiastic response from the public. The show evolved from an African American art course taught at RISD by James Montford, coordinator of community programs at The RISD Museum. Fine artists who participated were: Kathleen Brooks, Michael Edwards PT, Andrew Bain ’98 SC, Tracey Bey MFA ’01 PT/PR, Shawn Merchant ’03 TX and Lamar Peterson MFA ’01 PT.
- MASS Cultural Council on the Arts, Boston, MA Visual Arts Panel Member 2000
- Conference Arts In Universal Environments VSA Providence RI 2000
- Juror, 41st Annual Discovery Museum Juried Art Exhibition Bridgeport, CT May 1999
- Connecticut Docent Conference, Yale Museum of Art, Presenter March 99
- The Arts Consortium, Westerly RI, Lecture and Performance March 1999
- Board Member Providence Black Heritage Society, Providence RI 1998-00
- Advisor to International Gallery of Providence RI. 2000-2003
- Slater Museum Norwich CT. American Museum Assoc. MAP Process. Fall 98
- Quinnipiac College, Hamden CT. Visiting Artist-Post Modernism: Art and Ideas that Cross Boundaries. Lecture April 1998
- Lyman Allyn Museum, New London CT Feb. 98. Panelist, Critics Choice- arts writers discussed art criticism and writing
- The Developing Artist Program Lyman Allyn Museum Artist Mentor May 98
- Sitings Program The RISD Museum Providence RI Juror Site Specific Installations in the museum. 97
- Visiting Artist- Senior Crits and lecture on work University of RI Kingston 97
- ARTSmart, lecture on work at Lyman Allyn Museum, New London CT 2/97
- Scholastic Art Awards Judge Connecticut Assoc. of Arts Admin. 94,95,96,01
- Juror for Confrontation Canton Artist Guild Inc. Gallery on the Green Canton CT. July 1995 Show was reviewed.
- Phillips Exeter Academy. King Holiday Celebration lecture 94
- Presenter: Second Annual New England Artist Congress, MassMoca, and North Adams MA. Title: Surviving Rejection, and censorship left and right 94
- Visiting Artist UMass Amherst MA. 11/94 The Censored Artist.
- Visiting Artist/Critique RISD, Providence RI Sculpture Dept. 12/93
- Visiting Artist MASS College of Art Boston MA. Grad School 2/92
- Board Member Zone Art Center Springfield MA 1992
- Williston Northampton School, Easthampton, MA Lecture/performance 1992
- Art All-State, Artist Mentor, Worcester Art Museum. MA. June 1991 and 1992 Theme of collaboration: Procession
- Presenter at the New England League of Middle Schools Conference, Workshop title: African American Artist, Another look. Marlborough, MA 11/91
- Presenter at (NEAOPP) Conference, New England Association of Educational Opportunity Program Personnel. Diversity Workshop. Hate words and discipline codes Mystic. CT. 4/91
- Presenter at the 4th Annual conference for CAEOP Connecticut Association of Educational Opportunity Programs. Intro. To Diversity. 10/90
- Planning committee, Lyman Allyn Museum Exhibit, “Contemporary African American Printmakers”. Worked on all phases of exhibit, wrote introduction for exhibition catalog. 1989
- Panel Member for CT> Commission on the Arts. Public Arts Program. 1998
- Board Member Norwich NAACP 1987-89
- Board Member Literacy Volunteers of Norwich, 1987-89
- Symposium: Art in Public Places, Co-coordinator of weeklong program examining the role of public art. Univ. of CT at Avery Point Groton CT.1987
- Visiting Artist Connecticut College, New London CT senior crit. 1983
- RAW Sienna Walls Summer Mural Project Baltimore MD Two private commissions completed 1997
- Commissioned Mural for the Marlboro Apts. Eutaw Place Baltimore MD 1977
- Baltimore Mural Program, Mural Painter CETA project 1976
- Walters Art Gallery, Museum Guard, Baltimore MD. 1976
- Fabricated Plexi-glass frames in SOHO, NYC. Framing for Robert Ryman and others 1975-1976
- Assisted Joseph Steffanelli on series of murals commissioned by the city of NY. 1975-76
- Brocton Art Center, Brockton MA. Student Intern. Responsible for show installation worked with painter, Al Loving on major exhibition at the museum 1973-74
- Nominated for St. Botolph Club Foundation artist grant Boston MA 2011
- The Artist’s Resource Trust of The Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation
- 2008 Grant to support development of work
- TRIO Achiever Award 2002
- Pollock Krasner Foundation Grant to Support independent work 2001-2002
- Yaddo Residency Fellowship Saratoga Springs NY 2000
- Lyman Allyn Museum, Connecticut College, Exhibition Grant 1999
- Art Matters Inc. NYC individual artist fellowship 1995
- offered artist residency at Blue Mt. Residency program NY 1996
- NEA, National Endowment for the arts individual artist fellowship 1994
- Boston Coalition for Freedom of Expression recipient Hero Award for 1994
- CT Commission on the Arts individual artist Grant New Genres 1993
- Nominated for Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation Grant, NYC 1993
- Pollock Krasner Foundation Grant to support independent work 1993
- VT Studio Residency Grant, Johnson VT, mentoring experience with Robert Colescott summer 1993
- New England Foundation for the Arts, New Forms, individual art grant 1992
- Recipient of Yaddo residency, Sum 91, winter 93, sum 94, winter 95 Saratoga Springs NY
- Wilbraham and Monson Academy Professional Development Grant 1991
- Recipient of CT Commission on the Arts individual artist awards for installations 1989
- Media Residency Grant Real Art Ways Hartford CT. Peppy video 1989
- Vermont Studio Program. Artist Residency , Johnson, VT summer 1987 & 1993
- Professional development grant, Mohegan Community College, Norwich 1987
- Recipient of NEA grant for study with Palo Soleri and Arcosanti Project AZ Summer 1978
- Recipient MICA Graduate School Fellowship Baltimore MD 1976-78
- Recipient of the Helene Wurlitzer Foundation Residency Grant, Taos, New Mexico Summer 1976
- Minority Scholarship, Columbia University, Teachers College, NYC. 1974-76
- Rosland W. Levine Award for outstanding Achievement in Fine Arts, Brandeis Univ.1974
- Advisory Committee to the Dean of the College, Brandeis Univ. 1973-74
- Brandeis University Scholarship 1970-74
Selected Solo Exhibitions Projects and Performances
- Beard and Weil Galleries At Wheaton College MA 2015
- Mills Gallery BCA Vera Grant curator/catalogue “Perssuasions” March/April 2015
- Miller Yezerski Gallery More Bleak Indians in Space June 2015
- Yellow Peril Gallery , Providence RI 2014 installation/performance
- Howard Yezerski Gallery Boston MA 2013 /2015
- Kenkeleba Gallery NYC Artist Dollars Nov 2012
- Newport Art Museum, Centennial Exhibition Newport RI November 2012
- Castellani Art Museum a decade of Top /Spin Summer/Fall 1012-13
- Quotidian Arts and Letters CCRP Residency Milwaukee summer 2009 Cultural Crisis Residency Program.
- UMass Lowell Gallery Performance PTSD February 2009
- Michigan State University Detroit Performance Visiting Artist October 2007
- URI Down City Gallery, Providence 2007 performance and installation withdrew from exhibition – Lynching etc.
- Difficult Dialogues Clark Univ. Worcester MA Performance and exhibition March/April 2007
- CCRI Warwick Campus Gallery October 2006
- Castellani Art Museum, Niagara University, NY Installation Performance 2004 Artist in residence. African+Indian=American
- More Forbidden Fruit New Space Gallery Manchester Community College Manchester CT. Performance/Talk and Symposium on issues of Censorship related to the Exhibition. April 2002
- Queens Museum of Art NYC Crossing the Line. “Pancarta” installation on site and in the community. 2001
- New Britain Museum of Art, Ct New/Now Gallery, Andrea Miller Keller Curator of selection, Weather or Not. Installation with FAX machine 7/2001
- Seattle Art Museum, WA. Art of Protest. Artist Dollars installation and performance 2000-01
- Visiting Artist Emporia State University KS Spring 2001 Performance Nigger Speaks
- Lyman Allyn Museum Connecticut College New London CT. Digital Imagery
- Forbidden Fruit. Charles Shepard Director. Jan-Mar. 2000
- Discovery Museum, Bridgeport CT. Text Installation Nigger Questions Jan-March 2000. Lecture/performance, Ben Ortiz curator
- Chrysler Museum of Art , Norfolk VA Artist Dollars II Site-Specific Installation Lecture on AA artist and patronage Jan. 1999
- Mattress Factory Pittsburgh PAArtist DollarsHomage to H.O. Tanner.Dec 98-Sept 99. Programs related to the installation included a lecture performance and interactive community outreach component. Artists on Call and Forum: titled, Is/ Patronage/Isn’t. Project is on MF web site.
- Lenore Gray Gallery Providence RI New Constellation Paintings OCT 99
- Slater Museum, Norwich CT, Paintings from the Eighties and early Nineties.
- Jan-March 1998, Presented lecture on work.
- AS220 Gallery Providence RI Installation with paintings. Sept. 1997
- Throw-a-way words.,Red-White and Blue ARC Gallery Chicago Ill.Installation2/96
- DeCordova Museum, Lincoln MA Strokes of Genius Legacy Golf 1995
- Lost in the Myth of America Unrecognized Contributions of Black art and Culture, The Scottsdale Center for the Arts AZ, 5/95 Installation
- Artist Dollars The Taft Museum Cincinnati OH, installation of dollars. Explored Cultural History and patronage. 2/94. Presented lecture on work.
- N Word Questions and answersinstallation, URI Gallery Kingston RI, Jan 94. Gave talk on work.
- Classical and Neo-Classical Black Heads, Macy Gallery TC Columbia Univ. NYC 1994, presented lecture on the work.
- Two Icons Corridor Gallery Univ. of RI 11/92 Kingston RI.
- Praying Shoes/Preying ShoesII: Arno Maris Gallery Westfield ST. Gallery,Westfield, MA Lecture on work, video installation with performance Nigger Bread 1992
- Immortal Words, installation, Zone Art Center Sprinfield MA. 3/92. Issues raised by the work subject of panel discussion. Visitor removes work from wall as protest. mass professor makes public statement denouncing work Exhibit funded in part by NEA. Lynching piece first done.
- HateWords, Hartford Courant Newspaper. And RAW Real Art Ways. Newspaper piece inspired by Amistad Rebellion, 6/91. Hartford CT. Funded in part by the NEA’s Museum program, and the CT Commission on the Arts.
- A Myth a Metaphor and More. Old State House Hartford CT. April-May 1991. The Montford Incident-public forum examined issues of race and representation. Exhibit was negotiated settlement by ACLU and Hartford’s RAW CT commission on the Arts provided funding support for programs.
- The Kitchen Center for Video 11/90In your Face. A series of 10 Emerging or underexposed artists in person , face to face, screening and discussing the work
- Praying Shoes Preying Shoes 9/90. Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists Boston MA. Site-specific installation.
- Cinque Gallery Inc. NYC Spring 1985 Paintings from Homeland series
- Wadsworth Athenaeum, Hartford CT May-June 1984 Wall Installation. A commissioned work.
- Lyman Allyn Museum, July 1984 Paintings from Homeland series
- Cummings Art Center, CT College. April 1983
- Art Council Gallery, New London CT. Spring 1982 Homeland series
- Macy Gallery, Columbia University, Grad Exhibition NYC 1976
- Dwight Englewood School, Englewood NJ January 1975
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- Black Male’d BHM at BHCC College Laura Montgomery curator 2013 Boston MA
- John Slade Ely House Center for Contemporary Art I Think is Conceptual 50 years of art and culture New Haven CT OCT/NOV 2011
- Chazen Gallery Wheeler School , Providence Ri New Media Nov/Dec 2010
- Intersexions at Stonehill College. MA November 09 Catalogue
- Family Business the Parachute Factory Gallery NH CT Curated by elYasin and
- Debbie Hesse Yale Affiliated gallery space. Nov 08February 09
- Art Unites Communities Pawtucket Arts Collaborative RI May/June 07
- Alva Gallery, New London CT., Being Good: Women’s Moral Values In the New Millennium Nov05/Jan06 Blue Babies
- Mashentucket Pequot Museum , Ledyard CT. New England Contemporary Navtive Art Summer 2005
- Hera Gallery About Freedom Democracy Under Siege11/03 : Inside the Declaration of Independence, Wakefield RI
- John Slade Ely House of Contemporary Art, New Haven CT 4 person Exhibition “Body Language” Digital prints. 2002
- Florence Griswold Museum, Old Lyme CT Community Choices New Perspectives on Permanent Collection 2000
- Hera Gallery Wakefield RI Two person Exhibition Revealing the Indian in US. 2000
- Charter Oak Temple Gallery, Hartford CT. About Face: An exhibition of Masks from near and Far7/98
- Alternative Home Show Sara Doyle Gallery Brown Univ. 4/97
- Project Row Houses, Houston TX. Pennies on the Floor 1996, a consideration of Juneteenth Day.
- Invitational: Palladiums, Dismantling of Safe Havens of Critical Thought. Three-person exhibition of censored Artists, Mobius, Boston MA Curated by Kathleen Bitetti of the Artist Foundation 09/96
- Open to the Public, Exhibition of Drawings Big lipperArtspace Gallery, New Haven CT. 1995
- The William Benton Museum of Art, Investing in Dreams. CT Commission on the Art exhibition 1995
- Then and /now, Faculty Exhibition URI Kingston RI 1995
- African American Art Educators Exhibition the DeLuce Gallery Northwest Missouri State Univ. Maryville MI 2/94
- Don’t ask Don’t Tell, Artists respond to Censorship, Hampton Gallery The U of Mass, Amherst 11/94 Presented Lecture
- Subversive Images In the Media. Teckno Installations at Artspace Gallery, New Haven, CT A video installation/performance w paintings Title: Will he pee in his pants? 9/93
- Hampshire College Gallery Amherst MA. Work form Nigger Constellations. Lectured on work.10/93 Faculty vote to re-affirm freedom of expression fails due in part to discussion raised by the work 10/93
- Silvermine Guild for the Arts Center, New Canaan CT Performance: There is a nigger on the lawn. 06/93
- A Wealth of Grays; Uncommon Perspectives from Connecticut Artists. John Cusano, curator. Personal Perspectives on Racial Identity, 03/93 Hera Gallery, Wakefield RI, The Big Lipper Constellation an installation work with text and basketballs placed on the gallery floor.
- Hartford Art School, Performance 2/93. Montford
- Excluded from Brandeis University Exhibition, 0/93. Was told the work was too cutting edge for first ever African American Artist Exhibition At Rose Art Museum.
- Mass College of Art, Boston, MA Visiting Artist, Grad. Studies 9/92 Lecture
- Seeing Red White and Blue:Censored in the USA May-June 92. John Frohnmayer lectured on the exhibit. Visual Arts Center, Anchorage AS. Comprehensive exhibit exploring Censored art in the USA. The center closed down in part to the exhibit.
- Recent Acquisitions: Selections from the Permanent Collection, DeCordova Museum, MA 06/92
- DeCordova Museum, Lincoln MA. Maps in Contemporary Art fall 1991. Lecture on work as part of museum program, and Coffee and Conversation with Dick Pleasents on Walden Radio
- 1991 Distinguished Alumni Exhibition TC Columbia University Macy Gallery NYC 01/91
- Visions of Hartford Sponsored by the Greater Hartford Architecture Conservancy, Old State House Hartford CT. Work was removed from the exhibition ACLU, REAL ART WAYS. Others involved in resolution.
- Contemporary African American Printmakers Lyman Allyn Museum, New London CT. Feb. 1989
- Atlier Gallery of Mystic. CT Emerging artist Exhibition. 1988
- Connecticut Artists Annual, Slater Museum Norwich CT Installation Piece Peppy’s Garden Spring 1988
- Five from CT. Charter Oak Gallery Hartford CT. 11/1987
- 21st Annual Faculty Exhibition, Benton Museum of Art UCONN Storrs CT> 9/86
- Cinque Gallery New York NYC 11/84
- Minority Art Educators, The Interchurch Center New York NY. 02/85
- University of CT. Avery Point Groton CT. Faculty exhibition 04/85
- Connecticut Painters 7+7+7, Wadsworth Athenaeum, Hartford CT. 1983 Andrea Miller Keller Curator. Participated in Museum activities/programs
- Mayors Art Auction Ball Baltimore MD. Baltimore Museum of Art Balto. MA 10/80 Invitational exhibition
- Connecticut Black Artist Exhibition, Slater Museum Norwich CT 10/80 invitational exhibition.
- New Talents and experiences exhibition, JCC Gallery Baltimore MD. 12/78 organized by collector Israel Rosen
- Beautiful walls for Baltimore. The Baltimore Mural Project. An exhibition at the BMA Baltimore MD. 04/78
- Hoffberger School of Painting Maryland Institute College of Art May 77 & 78
- 1977 Faculty exhibition Western Maryland College. Westminster MD 01/77
- Maryland Biennial Exhibition, The Baltimore Museum of Fine Arts, Balto, MD 1978
Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists, Boston MA
Rhode Island School Of Art Museum RISD Providence RI
Beard and Weil Galleries At Wheaton College MA
The Mashentucket Museum, CT
The Chrysler Museum of Art Norfolk, VA
The DeCordova Museum, Lincoln, MA
The Taft Museum, Cincinnati, OH
The Slater Museum, Norwich, CT
The Scottsdale Arts Center, Scottsdale, AZ
Visual Artists Fellowship Archive At the Smithsonian Institution’s
National Museum of American Art
Periodical Books Reviews
Take Magazine “Artist to Watch in 2016” Dec/Jan issue pg. 43
Artscope Sept/Oct 2015 Suzanne Volmer The Planetarium of Black Indian Constellations at Beard and Weil Galleries
“james montford’s work resonates” Artist profile Providence Journal Bill Van Siclen Sunday Art April 26th 2015
Atscope Mag Review: The Planetarium of Black Indian Constellations S.Volmer Sept 2015
The Art of Provocation by Cate McQuaid – Boston Globe June 9, 2015
Studio Visit Art New England March/April 2015 Alexander Castro
Fighting the Power – James Montford’s Confrontational Art Providence Phoenix
June 2014 Review
Black Indians in Space Mary Bucci McCoy Review Art New England May/June 2013.
To seduce and disturb” Cate McQuad Boston Globe Feb. 2013. Yezerski exhibition.
2009 Kara Walker- No/Yes/? Howardina Pindell Midmarch Art Press
African American Visual Artists Database AAVAD.COM Nov. 2006
2005 Ben Dutka, Redefining Native Norwich Bulletin June 25th
2004 Karen Lee Ziner Providence Journal An Unlikely Reunion in RI: Artists shared War’s Trauma December 30
2004 Matress Factory Crazy Facts Web site Astist Dollars
OUTSPOKEN: Free Speech Stories by Nan Levinson 2003 University of California Press Chapter 7
Revealing Untold stories: Voice in the work of Ann Fessler, Catalogue essay 2003 MICA Decker Gallery Baltimore MD.
2003 Catalogue American Democracy Under Seige Hera Gallery RI
2003 Channel 4 NBC TV News Buffalo NY October Castellani Museum Exhibition
2003 Richard Huntington The Buffalo News NY Images of Pain Oct 29
Howardena Pindell, Diaspora/ Realities/Strategies, ISSN 1462-0426 Oct 1997 updated Jan 2002
2002 CONTACT _Con-46218B1C1 \c \s \l James Montford Halway, Roy DeCorava (Looking and Learning) School Arts Mag. Feb. 2002
James Montford catalogue exhibition The Last Supper 2002
The Last Supper catalogue essay for group exhibition. Providence RI 2003
Thoreau Art Gallery, Franklin Pierce College, NH Catalogue, co-curator of exhibition, Over and Under Crosscurrents 11/2000
2001 CD Catalogue Crossing the Line Queens Museum NYC June 01
Hampton University International Review of African American Art News and Reviews 15.4
2000 Hank Hoffman New Haven Phoenix Mag. James G. Montford: More Forbidden Fruit Nov. 16
1999 Sheila Tunney Impulse Mag. Pittsburg PA Speaking against stereotypes through Art March 26
1999 Mary Thomas, Post Gazette Arts Writer, Pittsburg, PA- Passing the Buck Feb 19
1999 Lethia Roberson, The International Review of African American Art,
Vol. 15-No 4 pg. 63
1999 Joan Stanus, Work examines…. The Virginian-Pilot Sunday Feb 07
1998 Michael Rush, Art New England Publication –Installation Art- March 1998
1997 The Chronicle of Higher Education Art Professor’s ‘Wok’ Series Brewa a Tempest in a Frying Pan New London CT.
1997 Howardina Pindell, Diaspora/Realities/Straties ISSN 1462-0426
1996 Jeff Perrot, ArtsMEDIA, Boston Review- Mobius-Palladia: OCT 96
1995 Steve Kemper, Northeast/The Hartford Courant Sunday Mag. cover story “Enough Rope” 02.95
1995 Vivien Raynor, Art; In Bridgeport, More Than a Touch of the 60’s Revisited, The New York Times May 07, 1995
Bettie Rinehart, Amazing Race, the Presence of Absence Phoenix New Times, May 4, 1995
Harpers Mag. Image Legacy Golf, June 1995
Bob Chatelle, Arts Bashing and Censorship at Hampshire College, Boston Coalition for the Freedom of Expression, September 08, 1995
1994 Owen Findsen African American Artists fit bill, The Cincinnati Enquirer Feb 18
Robin Cemablest, Sexist, Racist, or Otherwise Offensive, Art News, April 1994
People for the American Way, Art Save Project, Artistic Freedom Under Attack, Vol.2 1994
Sal Scalora, Review, Techno Installations, Art New England Dec. 93
Chris Poon, Artist defends work against racist tag. Prov. Journal Bulletin Oct. 21, 1993.
Bill Rodriguez, Review, Providence Phoenix, March, 11 1993
1992 People for the American Way, Art Save Project, Artistic Freedom Under 92 Attack, Vol.1,
Interview with MarkLynch of WICN FM, Worcester MA an NPR affiliate for program called Inquiry. Aired Sept 92
(NPR) National Public Radio Interview Immortal Words April 1992Conversation with Charlene Koe WFCR
Gloria Russell, Review, Sunday Republican, Springfield, MA February 16, 1991
Miles Unger, Review, Art New England, January 1991
The work was represented in a lecture “confronting Issues in Contemporary Art” at the Boston MFA in the keynote address presented by Edmond Barry Gaither, Dir. Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists in connection with the exhibition “Interrogating Identity” Oct. 1991
Larry Bloom, Mean Streets? Northeast/The Hartford Courant, February 17, 91
Artist’s ‘racist’ work removed from city exhibit’ the Hartford Courant Jan 23, 1991
Jude Schwendenwien, Review, The Hartford Courant, Sunday, May 26, 1991
“Institutions Must Make A Commitment to Diversity at Every Level”
Black Issues In Higher Education May 1990 Pub. By Cox Mattews Assoc.
Putting a noose around Aunt Jemima’ Union News Sprinffield MA. October 24, 1990
Carol Brown, Robert Blackburn’s Printmaking Workshop The New London Day February 10, 1989
Catalogue Introduction for The Contemporary African American Printmakers Exhibition at Lyman Allyn Museum, New London CT 1989
CONTACT _Con-46218B1C1 \c \s \l James Montford OPED Haitian art deserves the term “traditional” not “primitive” The New London Day – August 5, 1988
Karen Kaplan, Black Artist’s exhibit will aid NAACP, The New London Day – March 11, 1988
Superheroes created for black youth, Review. The Day New London CT
State of the Arts, Published by Connecticut Commission on the Art, Speaking about the Commission Winter 1985
Bethe Thomas, Recognizing the worth of black artists, The New London Day, Sunday Feb. 24, 1985
Michele Kaye, With a L’ittle help house is restored, N’
Susan Zakin Art Emphasis/Gallery is start of new idea at Uconn campus, The New London Day October 09, 1984
Doris Whitbeck , Gallery Has Work… The Hartford Courant Sunday ,July 8, 1984
Artists Champion other Artists, The New York Times Sunday, January 30, 1983
Black history and art blend at the Slater, The Day New London CT. Feb1982
Doris Whitbeck, Artists Judge Peers, The Hartford Courante January 14, 1`983
Interest in new Gallery abounds but crucial choices lie ahead: Arts Commentary, The Day, New London CT Friday Jan. 23, 1981